Friday 29 August 2014

Why choose cupcakes?





Cupcakes aren't a new thing, they've been around since the early 19th century (or so we think as that's the earliest recorded recipe for a cup-sized cake). Dont worry, this isn't turning into a history blog, but in recent years the cupcake has made a comeback. And why not? They're cute, they offer a controlled portion, they are portable (if boxed), they make a great gift, there are never ending possibilities for decoration and they are tasty. Whilst they're not my favourite thing to eat (I feel like I'm committing a crime just typing this) I do enjoy making them and experimenting with flavours, colours and decoration.

Now we move onto the controversial topic of wedding cupcakes. They do have their place, but where is that place and why pay so much (my prices start from £2 each) for such a small, simple cupcake?

Wedding cupcake towers have become a huge trend. Ive had couples who tell me "I dont really like cake but my guests should still have some" and some couples just LOVE cupcakes in which case a cupcake tower is perfect. Each guests gets to have a cupcake, there is usually a cutting cake on the top which is mostly for photos of the cake cutting ceremony and is usually divided between guests at the top table. Cupcakes provide perfect little portions of cake to satisfy each guest and at £2 per portion, its cheaper than any of my tiered cakes.

I personally wouldnt want a cupcake tower, Im all for the big, beautifully decorated, jaw dropping cakes that guests will talk about for years afterwards, but cupcakes would still have their place. I think they make great favours and even place settings for guests. Individually boxed cupcakes start at £2.50 each and can be easily customised and personalised. I wouldnt hesitate to put my guests names on the boxes or even a lovely quote about love of life on the back of the box for my guests to read in between courses. But thats just me planning my own imaginary wedding again.

So what do you think about cupcakes at weddings?

No comments:

Post a Comment